Now that you know what the hype is surrounding cleansing oils, its time to expand that knowledge and try not to let your brain steep out of your ears with all the information that is going to be thrown at you.
My mom has always been a bit of “natural” person so to speak she was using coconut oil before it was cool and treated various aliments with essential oils. She is always looking for natural acne cures for me and trust me I think I’ve tired everything. She first suggested the Oil Cleansing Method to me several years ago and I first said no way and then decided what the hay I’ve tried everything else maybe it will work.
What is the Oil Cleansing Method?
The Oil Cleansing Method (From here on out we are going to say OCM) is a way to cleanse your face with a mixture of oils. Now there are dozens of opinions of what oils to mix to achieve OCM nirvana. Here are just a few examples I found online–
From The Oil Cleansing Method::
- Oily skin: Try a blend of 30% castor oil to 70% sunflower seed oil.
- Balanced Skin: Try a blend of 20% castor oil to 80% sunflower seed oil.
- Dry Skin: Try a blend of 10% castor oil to 90% sunflower seed oil.
- Jojoba (all skin types, but very desirable for acne-prone skin)
- Sweet almond (all skin types, especially oily)
- Grapeseed (all skin types, especially oily)
- Avocado (dry and aging skin)
- Sunflower Seed (all skin types)
- Apricot Kernel (dry, aging, and normal skin)
- Argan (all skin types, especially aging skin … very pricey)
- Tamanu (all skin types … very pricey)
- Oily skin: Blend 30% castor oil + 70% olive oil
- Balanced skin: 20% castor oil + 80% olive oil
- Dry skin: 10% castor oil + 90% olive oil
I was overwhelmed, so I half heartedly mixed some castor oil, olive oil and jojoba oil together and used it on my face. It didn’t make it worse but it wasn’t better and at that point I was so overwhelmed (and yes I did kind of want to prove my mother wrong….) that I declared it didn’t work and moved on.
But No Oil Lives Another Day…
Hello to Lara about 5 months ago when she noticed that skincare companies had taken the work out of mixing oils and done it for her! Yay for being lazy!
I had one sent to me and decided to give it a try and oh my gosh night and day difference between what I had done myself and what was in this magical bottle. Next post we will discuss my skin care routine and how I use my cleansing oil.
Some suggestions for Pre Prepared Cleansing Oils!
About Face: Ten Amazing Cleansing Oils
Independent: 11 Best Cleansing Oils
Sephora: Cleansing Oils from the search feature
Ulta: Cleansing Oils from the search feature
If you missed part one…
*Disclaimer- I know that skincare can be a controversial subject for people so please, please, please know that this is just my opinion and what has worked for me. You don’t have to agree with it but please be polite 🙂 *